Friday, September 20, 2019

Expanding my world slowly


It's now been more than a month since my knee surgery and there have been definite hills and valleys in my recovery. What I know now is that it is a long road and the progress cannot be rushed. In the first three weeks I gradually left the narcotic drugs behind--with a sigh of relief. I'm now just taking Tylenol for pain and most of the time it works just fine. But when I push too hard with the exercises or spend too much time on my feet the pain comes back to remind me that this is a long process.

Last weekend I was so happy that Harry drove me out to Sidney to have lunch and then go to see an art show by a friend of mine, Anita Boyd, who is a very cool abstract painter.

On the left is one of her paintings from the show called Portal that was shared with another abstract artist, Marilyn Chapman.  One of her recent works is on the right. You can see how these two women's work would sing together in an exhibition.

It was great to be able to walk around with just my cane and feel somewhat like a normal person again.

We had a lovely outing but on Monday morning when it was time for my physiotherapy appointment I could not walk without pain.  My physio confirmed that I had overdone it and recommended cutting back on the exercises and and upright activities.  By Wednesday I was feeling well enough to set up my art studio (actually the bay window in the living room that can tuck away under a table covered by a tablecloth when I'm not working there).  What a joy to pull some paints out and start messing around after more than a month of inactivity.










But alas, time slipped by and before I knew it, I'd been standing for well over an hour. Way too much for my knee.  So once again I'm back to sitting or lying in bed or on the couch icing my knee and working on range of motion exercises. It's a fine balance between pushing hard enough to have an effect and pushing too hard. I am still learning this balance.



Meanwhile I have a companion to snuggle with me. Little Pippa is here staying with us while stepson Ben and his partner Kande head off to Barcelona along with Ben's mom Heather. I know they'll have a fabulous trip. But equally, Harry and will be enjoying the company of this darling 7 pound Havanese bundle of cuddles.

I am hoping that by Sunday I'll feel well enough to attend some of the opening reception for the most recent group show at the Gage Gallery. The show is called Freefall and features the work of ten of the gallery artists. My submission is a triptych. I'm quite pleased with the way it looks in the gallery.

Stop by to see it on Sunday and meet some of the artists. Or else Tuesday through Saturday 11 to 5.












4 comments:

  1. Just take your time.

    Pippa is a cutie pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you are sorta feeling better and understand you new knee. Mine is still numb and I have a hard time kneeling down. It has been 20 years... oh well I can walk.
    Love your painting area.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you have a knee replacement? I wasn't aware of that. They tell me that I will likely never kneel. And my knee is pretty numb on one side. Still--it's good to be able to walk. Take care. J

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.