Friday, December 19, 2014

A new author

Don't you just love it when you discover a wonderful new author?   My new discovery is Amy Bloom, an American writer of poignant, funny books that are both tough and tender. She has an amazing literary voice that brings her characters to life.

I first read "Where the God of Love Hangs Out," a collection of connected short stories set in the present time. Then I read "Away," a tale of a plucky woman who lived in the late 1800s in America. The latest read may be my favourite to date. It's called "Lucky Us" and is the tale of a young girl's coming of age in America in the 1940s.

All I can say is this: If you haven't read anything by Amy Bloom, run don't walk to your nearest library or bookstore and get one. I think you won't be disappointed.

Thankfully there are still several books by this author that I have yet to read.

4 comments:

  1. She is going on my list !
    Thanks for the review !
    Do you get snow for the Holidays at your new home ?

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it's just rain, rain, rain here in Victoria. I remember only one Christmas with snow. Happy holidays to you and your family!

      Delete
  2. I've placed a Hold on Lucky Us!
    I recommend Lighthousekeeper by Jeanette Winterson and The Colour of Heaven by James Runcie.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.