Thursday, January 15, 2015

View from our balcony


Our little balcony looks out on the street to houses and electrical wires, but we are lucky enough to have a huge shrubby growth of flowers and leaves hanging over from the neighbours yard.  The red flowers hold great attraction for the butterflies. 



My little camera has a 20x zoom so I'm able to get in pretty close. 


Our other visitors are a couple of hummingbirds who may even be nesting somewhere in the bush.

There's a feeder on our balcony and they regularly come to that but they also seem to love the red flowers. They sit on the electrical wires and then swoop in to feed.  

They're a different variety than the ones I'm familiar with in Victoria, although they're about the same size.








I was thrilled to get this image of one of them actually feeding.  It's tough because they move so fast.

We spend quite a bit of time sitting on the balcony keeping company with these exquisite birds.

I

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful.
    It looks like you are having a great time.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you haven't said what the flowers are - I asked on the FB posting too - would be fun to know. Wonderful entertainment those hummingbirds!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.