Friday, June 28, 2013

Drawing class

Today was day five of my week-long life drawing class.  It was a stretch for me to go for six hours of drawing each day but I found it helpful in pushing my drawing to a new level.  The teacher, Bill Porteous, is the same guy that I'm doing the abstract painting with and he is a very talented guy.  Plus it was a lot of fun.

Here are a couple of the students drawing from a live model this afternoon.




And here are a couple of my more successful attempts.




One of the methods Bill used was to place semi-transparent paper over our drawing and with a dark pencil do some corrections.  It was fascinating to see how he changed our drawings.  (I probably don't need to tell you that his amendments are on the right!)  He was showing the proportions of the head and the face and some ways of creating more realism.




But Bill isn't one to dictate that we all approach things the same way.  His big thing is to give us the tools to mine our own personal vision.

I'm thinking I'll do some more drawing in the fall as it's a nice counterpoint to the abstract painting.





2 comments:

  1. Great idea of using the transparent paper.. Loved seeing your drawings and the students working.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.