Thursday, February 20, 2014

So many things have to go

Moving from our 2300 square-foot house to a 950 square-foot space creates many challenges.  I've spent the past month or so looking critically at every single thing in the deepest darkest recesses of the cupboards, the crawlspace and the closets. Even the dulcimer that my first husband gave me before we were married in 1969 has to go as there's just no room for it at Yukon Street.

This process of elimination is quite an emotional one.  For every thing in the closet there's a moment of remembering where it came from and when it came into my life.  Then there's the assessment of how much I want to keep it versus how much room it takes up. The most important question is where it would go in the smaller house. Since there's no attic or basement and very few closets, the decision is usually that it can't come with us.

Then there's a further choice:  do I give away to friends, donate it to charity, try to sell it... or throw it in the garbage. In the case of the dulcimer I took it into a music store to see how much it might be worth. I'm told that it needs about $80 worth of repairs but then I could sell it for about $200.  So is it worth it to make the repairs or do I just try to sell it as is. The questions just keep on coming.

In this case I've decided just to sell it as is.  And I put it on our local version of Craig's List. We'll see what happens.


4 comments:

  1. I suppose the listing as is would be the better choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is always a huge challenge.

    The fire destroyed everything I would have wanted to save. Not an option I would suggest.
    Since then things I have bought or been given can be easily parted with. As always the items I like the best are what my family has made for me.
    Such a hard choice for you to make. I would suggest take photos of everything.
    I envy your smaller home choice. This opens up more opportunities for you and your traveling and projects.
    I have always wanted a big work space with a small living area in one corner. le sigh.

    Good Luck with the packing.
    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often think how difficult it would be to have everything you cherished go up in flames. No time to say goodbye or think about the treasures. I like the idea of photographs. And you're right, the most valuable things are those made with love. As for the dulcimer, a fellow came by today and bought it for his wife who plays in a jug band. Nice to think it will be making music after all these years.

      Delete
  3. We're running parallel courses just now, for different reasons. It seems that at our age, it's time to let go of the 'stuff'', but never the memories. Those memories are what made us who we are today. And that's all we have. From your sister.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.