Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Omnivore's Dilemma--what should I eat?


A recommendation from my friend Ches has led me to a fascinating book about the farming practices in North America.  Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma, a Natural History of Four Meals" has completely opened my eyes to the dysfunctional agricultural system that has developed in North America in recent decades.  While this subject may seem dry or even boring, I have to say that Michael Pollan's elegant prose and graphic stories make this a riveting read. 

The question he addresses is one I've grappled with now for years:  what should I eat?  He's a journalist and a philosopher and he offers huge insights into how we eat and how we live.  It's been a very busy week for me but I've found a few hours to read halfway into this book.  Now it's due back at the library and since there's a hold on it I can't renew it.  I'm considering going downtown and buying this book because it's one of those that I'll be wanting to lend to all my friends.

So far it's been depressing to read about gluts of corn and cattle feedlots, but now we're into the organic farming section and things are lightening up.  It's my wish that this book will end on a hopeful note.  Check out the links above to learn more about Micheal Pollan and his ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments.