Monday, June 7, 2010

Drops of sweetness



I’ve always noticed those tiny ants that crawl around on peony buds. But for some reason I’ve never before seen the little drops of syrup that attract them.  Until today when I cut a few flopped over buds and brought them into the kitchen.  Later looking at them I could clearly see the little drops of sweetness the peonies exude.



They’re like little jewels and I can attest that they taste very sweet in a flowery way.  Imagine being able to taste the nectar of this gorgeous flower!  The peony flower has expanded my day in a beautiful way--and it hasn't even opened up to its full loveliness yet.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post.
    I love many flowers but the Peony has to be near the top of my list along with Wild Violets.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been told the ants facilitate the bud's glorious act of blossoming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blog friend Ginny posted exactly what Rudee said. I've seen ants and loved the blooms but never put the two together.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.