Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Scarlet Runner Flower



For Ruby Tuesday today I present the flower of the Scarlet Runner bean. I plant these every year and enjoy the lovely scarlet blooms. Actually I like the flowers better than the beans, which I find a little hairy, and usually grow too big before I get around to harvesting them. This year I discovered that the flowers are edible too. They make a nice addition to a salad.

And just for contrast I'm including a photo of the Tomatillo bloom. This plant is very pretty with its tiny flowers that hang down with their faces to the ground. So far we've had only the flowers and I don't know if we'll actually get any tomatillos. Perhaps it's not quite hot enough for this plant that usually grows in Mexico.



Happy back to school and real life day on this Tuesday after Labour Day.

For more Ruby Tuesday photos go here.

6 comments:

  1. The previous owners of our house had planted tomatillos but they never ripened. But yesterday, I ate some from my son's garden in Steveston...yummy! Apparently, they are rampantly self-seeding and their many plants are leftovers from last year!
    Scarlet runners are my favorite beans. They have a robust taste to go with the sturdiness. You're right about the hairy older ones, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful flower, I've never seen one of those before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ☼¨`*•.♥BEAUTIFUL♥.•*¨`☼
    Thanks for sharing!
    Have a Lovely♥Day!
    To view my Ruby Tuesday you can visit my kiddos blog @
    http://www.365daysofourlife.com
    See ya!☺!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are gorgeous flowers. Great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi joanne, it's really great to come back from a day and see someone who's all over a scarlet runner bean!! seriously. it's so calming and reminding. because they are really gorgeous and i could love them up just as much without the food they represent!!!! beautiful. thanks. steven

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.