Monday, May 26, 2014

Tree identification


For over 30 years I thought this tree was an Acacia but now I wonder. We came back from our trip to find the tree in the back of the house in full and beautiful bloom.  The flowers have a strong scent of honey. Now I'm wondering if it might be a Honey Locust.  Does anyone know?

By the way, it has wicked thorns.

I'm going to have to get some of this tree cut back because it's completely shading our upper deck and is starting to affect the shingles and the roof.  But isn't it beautiful just now?







5 comments:

  1. I also have no idea. It is a beautiful tree.
    Did you never see it bloom in all those years ? or is it just so completely in blooms this year.
    The idea of a tree smelling of honey is very charming.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because we were renting the house we weren't around much in the spring. Or maybe this is just a bonus year. The honey scent is captivating.

      Delete
  2. I think you are right...honey locust. We had a black locust once and it had the same leaves, although it never bloomed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the leaf shape. I'm going to have to get a tree person out to do some thinning so I'll find out for sure.

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments.