Friday, July 17, 2009

Summer reading?



Reading has been a big part of my life for many years now, but lately I just can't seem to find time to do it. This surprises me since it's summertime and I'm not working much. I had this idea that my summer would include time to sit in the sun and get lost in a book. Maybe it's the garden project, which still takes up a fair bit of time with raking, weeding, and watering. Or maybe my life is just getting busier somehow.

In any case my stack of summer reading just keeps getting bigger and I'm not really finding time to dive in. Every time I go to the library to pick up a book that I've put on hold I find a few more books I want to read. This stack is an eclectic mix and I don't really know if I'll get to any of them. (And it doesn't even include the book that my book club is going to discuss in August--Night Train to Lisbon).

I think I'll take this stack apart and set them here and there around my house so that it's not so overwhelming. Then maybe I'll be able to pick one up at random and sink in. The Diana Athill childhood memoir looks enticing.

4 comments:

  1. We used to dream of having all the time we wanted just to sit and read, didn't we? I agree that it's oddly difficult to find those big chunks of time in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been able to read much of anything in quite awhile. Nothing strikes my fancy these days. I jumped back into The Hobbit because I love it. It's next to my bed. I read one page and the next thing I know, it's morning and time to do something else. Every time I read Tolkien's books, I find myself wishing I'd never read them so the story would be as enchanting to me as my first go around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about reading one page. Then the eyes get heavy and the book falls to the floor. Yes, The Hobbit was a great tale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you gotten to the olive kittridge book yet? i've been wondering if it's good. i have "read a good book" on my list... do you have one to recommend to me? :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.