Friday, January 21, 2011

The nadir of the year

Someone recently told me that the 17th of January is the most depressing day of the year in the northern hemisphere.  That's the day when dying people will often choose to exit.  I actually think it's not just one day, but perhaps an entire week--the third week of January.  It's the nadir of the year.  I can relate to that.  Christmas festivities are long finished, the weather's dreary, it's pitch black in the morning, and spring still seems far away.  

On a personal level this is always a tough time for me.  The 19th of January, 1985 was the day my little boy, age 9, died from a brain tumor.   And although it's been 26 years now, I still get very sad and tired and need to spend time alone to allow tears and remembering.  This is actually a good thing to be doing on a dark and drizzly day.  The dogs are hanging around ready to cuddle and the kitchen is there for a cup of tea or a warming stew.


That's how I get through the nadir of the year.



7 comments:

  1. I imaging there are many times throughout the year when your mother's heart still feels broken. If I could, I'd wrap you in a warm hug to help you through this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week has been horribly long and draggy, and I don't even have such heartbreaking reason as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, hope you are coping ok. I can totally relate as a mother who lost a son also. His birthday is Jan 14th. A mother's heart never really heals, does it, it just goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. joanna, i don't know that you've shared that here before. the knowledge took my breath away. i'm wishing you goodness and care. steven

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot even imagine the sadness of losing a child. I'm glad those friendly pups are always ready to cozy up to you. Soon we'll be past the Nadir and moving toward spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your loving and supportive comments. I appreciate your kind thoughts very much. I have been able to move ahead in my life despite this harsh loss and in fact I have learned and grown through it. January will pass and I'll find my equilibrium.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't really thought about the timing but it sounds right. I'm so sorry about your son, I'm sure he will always be missed.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.