Sunday, January 9, 2011

Three funny books

Someone told me the other day that the middle of January is the time of year when most people who are subject to depression get depressed.  It makes perfect sense to me.  The days are short and the weather's bad, and there are still almost three months before spring arrives.

So what could be better than funny books?  I've spent the last week laughing a lot--as I read these three books.  All of them are excellent and laugh-out-loud funny.

The first is this collection of columns by Lisa Scottoline, called Why My Third Husband Will be a Dog.  She writes for an American newspaper somewhere (can't remember now).  What I do remember is that I couldn't stop reading...or laughing.


The second is Sloan Crossley's second book, How Did You Get This Number.  I enjoyed her acerbic New York wit in her first book (I was told there'd be cake) and found its equal in this one.


And lastly, Stewart McLean's latest collection of stories, Extreme Vinyl Cafe, from  his very funny weekend CBC Radio show, The Vinyl Cafe.



So if you're feeling blue, or glum, or down-in-the-dumps, get yourself to a library or bookstore and try one of these.  I just might get you through the month.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Joanna - more titles for my ever-growing list. I can always use a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.