Saturday, January 1, 2011

Simplicity and focus for 2011


The prompt today is resolution and since it's a new year I've made a resolution to bring more simplicity and focus into my life. I chose this photograph as a visual for my goal.  I plan to work towards it in two simple ways:


1.  No more multi-tasking

I spend way too much time running in circles in my life, trying to be efficient and managing only to get myself in a confused dither.   I resolve to choose a task and finish it before turning my attention to something else.  This may or may not be doable.  As a parent and a partner and a friend and a dog owner there are many pulls on my time and attention.  But I want to clarify which of these pulls are important so I can take control of my time and accomplish something more than just dealing with details.


2.  Do more art

I've been talking about getting back to art for a long time and I'm not managing to do it.  Of course this relates to number 1 above.  My goal here is to make my art a priority, rather than something I get to when everything else is complete.  I've signed up for a class in water color painting that starts next week and I resolve to take the time to really get involved with my painting. 

I've so enjoyed participating in the Nine Muses Musing process through this holiday season.  It's been interesting seeing other people's visual images and stories about the prompts and I'm inspired to explore photography a little deeper and to combine it with painting as well.

So that's it:  simplicity and focus for 2011.  I'm ready for it.

Happy new year to you and yours.



10 comments:

  1. I love the colors in this photo! And I can really relate to your two resolutions. Here's wishing you a year filled with simplicity and plenty of time to create art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wonder what's in the jars!

    I just looked to the right at your border collies - made me smile - our psycho cutie girl is part border and her name's maggie -but I guess we've already said something about this! :-D

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great shot and fantastic resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Multi-tasking certainly isn't as wonderful as it sounds. The photo should be beautiful inspiration. I wish you success in your goal to simplify your life. That busy-ness just creeps up on us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Joanna! Those are great resolutions that nurture the soul and preserve sanity. Best of wishes in keeping them all year long. The photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea, and I love the image you chose to illustrate it. I agree with your thoughts on multi-tasking, I believe in the end it takes away from every task we do when we don't allow ourselves to be in the moment. And it's something that many of us struggle with. I know I do.
    I'm so glad you enjoyed the 9 muses musing,we are so happy to have you play along.
    I hope you have a wonderful new year, and find time for you and your art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two great resolutions, Joanna - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am struck with the perfect simplicity of your photograph.
    it has instant appeal, as do both your resolutions.

    keeping a fond eye on you as you return to art!

    wishing you brightness in this soft new year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all of your comments and images, Joanna! I often come away with something to think about - in this case, working towards simplicity and focus in my own life. Wishing you and yours health and happiness in 2011! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great plan! ;) I should join you!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.