Monday, August 24, 2009

Blackberry Creme Brulee



We had some friends over for dinner last night and they brought us the most fabulous dessert. It arrived inside an insulated bag and it came with a blow torch. Yes, creme brulee--but made with blackberries. I think this is a most inspired combination. The sweet-tart blackberries oozing their juice into the creamy custard. And of course the crust on top which is made by flaming sugar with the blow torch.

I've never made it before but Aaron and Laura told us it was easy and they even gave us the recipe, which I'm sharing with you. If you don't have a blow torch you can carmelize the crust under the broiler of your oven.

4 egg yolks
6 Tbs. sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (I think maybe whipping cream)
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Beat egg yolks in a medium bowl, add the sugar and whisk til smooth.
In a second bowl whisk cream, add vanilla then fold together with first mixture.

Place fully ripe and juicy blackberries in the bottom of individual ramekins, then pour blended mixture over top, about 3/4 of the way to the top.

Place ramekins ino a roasting pan and fill pan with water to about half way up the ramekins.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. It's done if the custard jiggles a bit when you shake the pan.
Take the roaster out and let things cool down.

When the custard has solidified, you do the brulee part. Sprinkle 1 1/2 Tbs. of sugar evenly over the top of each custard like Aaron is doing here.



Then either use a small blowtorch to carmelize the sugar (see top photo). Or put them under your broiler and keep watch until the sugar carmelizes.

After that you have to wait until it cools down so the topping crystalizes. If you can wait long enough, then you can break through the crispy crust with your spoon and get into the rich custard with blackberries. Eat this with a small spoon, taking tiny bites to extend the enjoyment of this marvelous dessert. The blackberry blends so beautifully with the rich custard. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it.

6 comments:

  1. Creme Brulee..
    An easy gourmet dessert recipe, great tasting and I love to prepare for our guests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! it's barely breakfast here and i'm reading and looking at this thinking - this, this is the way to start the day!!!! it must happen in this house soon!! it must have been delicious. thanks for sharing. steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. My stomach is rumbling. I have made creme brulee and it is easy. The crust under the broiler is a bit tricky to do without heating the whole dessert through. The best I ever had was at a restaurant. There were crushed Szechuan peppercorns and an apple compote at the bottom. It was sweet and slightly hot with a creamy texture... I don't think it gets better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creme brulee...my favorite dessert of all. With blackberries - yum!
    The best I ever had was a chocolate chili custard. I've never tried it at home, though it does sound easy. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh good lawd that looks good! I think I'll try that next time we have company come up the mountain.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness this does look delicious!
    Yummy!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.