Tuesday, August 4, 2009

C is for Clouds

Rows and floes of angel hair,
And ice cream castles in the air,

And feather canyons everywhere;

I've looked at clouds that way.
But now they only block the sun,

They rain and snow on everyone.

So many things I would have done,

But clouds got in my way.

I've looked at clouds from both sides now,
From up and down, and still somehow

It's cloud illusions I recall.

I really don't know clouds...at all.


This lovely Joni Mitchell song was floating through my head today. It's a favorite of mine and has been since I first heard it in the '60s. Today is the first time we've seen clouds for quite a while. Such a prolonged stretch of summer weather is unusual for this area. It's been 12 weeks of sun with only one rainstorm that lasted about an hour and a half. But it looks like it may be coming to an end. Last night we saw these clouds.



And these ones this morning.



It's much cooler today and there's a prediction of rain for Thursday. I know that this is a good thing because it's very dry here and there are some raging forest fires in several places around BC. (Although thankfully not nearby.)

But like the song says--clouds get in the way. We're heading up-island to camp at a river for a couple of days with our little niece so we're hoping that they won't block the sun for the whole time we're up there.

If you're interested, you can find the complete lyrics of the Joni Mitchell song here.

And lots of other ABC Wednesday posts can be found here.

15 comments:

  1. Cloud watching is so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely cloud captures!

    there was nobody walking on the promenade because i had taken the picture on a hot afternoon :)
    thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite songs too. We've had very dry weather in Australia too, but it's fairly chilly, being winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shot.

    I love both Joni's and Judy Collins' version of the song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beuatiufl song to accompany beautiufl lilting clouds. As nuch as I love blue skies, clouds are the vest for a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some pretty clouds. I love Joni, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful skies...I love the song.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the song, too! And our minds were definitely in the same place today! Clouds! And yours are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember that song, too!

    The second of those pictures is fascinating. It's just like the reflection of sun on water - let's hope it's a good omen for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fluffy clouds are nice. Lovely cloud shots. I'm very bad at remembering song lyrics so now I can sing along reading yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i hope you'll have a great camping trip!

    these cloud shots are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful clouds - that song has been a favorite of mine as well. I'm in Northern Idaho and we've had a good long stretch of hot - much longer than normal. Hope it doesn't rain on your camp out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you to everyone for your very kind comments. We had a lovely camping trip and the clouds didn't interfere. No raid, although some fog both mornings.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.