Saturday, August 8, 2009

Today's flower is the Sunflower



For today's flowers I present the Sunflower. This was a volunteer in my yard this Spring and I'm quite impressed with its size and vigor. Just the one plant has over a dozen flowers forming.
Sunflowers are such joyous blooms. Even the buds are bursting with energy. It seems that the insects like it too. Can you see the little white spider on the top photo? And the bee on the middle one with the mauve background?







I also love the way the pollen falls on the leaves and the flower heads droop over when they get so heavy with seeds. I'm planning to leave some of them to attract winter birds to my garden.







You can see many more flower images at Today's Flowers. There are also some wonderful collages of flowers to celebrate its first anniversary.

13 comments:

  1. Sunflowers...beautiful. And you captured some bees! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, Joanna. I had to enlarge the first one to find your albino spider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden has full of smiles and sunshine! Lovely sunflowers! Love the first shot, it is so happy, and the shot feels like there's a little breeze passing through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyone loves sunflowers...I know I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic photos of beautiful flowers! Yes, I saw the tiny white spider, but had to enlarge the photo for my old eyes to see it.

    Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful string of photos. The fallen pollen photo is grand.
    Spirithelpers

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great series of one of my favourite flowers - the sunflower.
    Lovely pictures.
    Thank you for sharing.
    - Cheers from Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very happy looking sunflower. Found the spider and the bee. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ....and save some seed for next year, it is so nice to have the multi-headed variety not just the ningle stem as in bird seed or the large plantations.
    Very beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joanna

    Wordless your post!
    Sunflower is one of most beautiful flower!
    Great series of fantastic takes!
    Thanks for posting!

    Luiz
    PS:hope you become our Guest!
    Look instructions in TF page!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness, you have captured some gorgeous photos of your sunflowers, visitors and all. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for all your compliments. I was pleased with the way these photographs came out. See you next Sunday for another "Today's Flowers."

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.