Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Eating local



I meant to get this posted earlier today for ABC Wednesday but the day slipped away. E is for Eating local--and that's what we do this time of year. Everything is so fresh and tasty--and often free.

Gathering lettuce, radishes and basil from the pots on the deck for a salad...



Cooking with apples from my sister's tree and blackberries from the corner of the yard. Or driving out to a farm stand for tomatoes, corn and summer squash...



All these ways of getting food are so pleasing.

These photos are from a friend's garden. She is actually farming in her back yard. These are her tomatoes and chard and pattypan squash. The colours of these foods are so beautiful; not to mention the taste.







This year it's even been hot enough to grow eggplant. Isn't its flower just gorgeous?



Come winter, eating local is more limited, although still possible. But I much prefer the foods of August and September. What's your favourite local food?

You can click on the ABC logo in the sidebar if you'd like to see some other E posts.

12 comments:

  1. Eating local fresh foods is pretty void around here. I live in the desert so we don't have much agrigulture in this area. I like your theme for the ABC Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Joanna

    what wonderful produce you have...isn't that rainbow beet so colourful. Fortunately we have one of the best farmers' markets in Australasia in our little town so Sunday is a special day for us...

    Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great shots...I love your presentation in every one of these...you made all these fruits and vegis look like artwork...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I've ever seen the flower of the eggplant before! Very pretty! And I love your picture of the rhubarb.

    Our supermarket now has a separate stand for local food. I always check there first.

    On behalf of the team, thanks for taking part in ABC Wednesday this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello joanna, well these are beautiful pictures - you could produce a pamphlet with your text and these images!!!! the abundance at this time of year is extraordinary and necessary given the winter we experience so we take full advantage of it. pack it away for the dark cold nights ahead. just like our ancestors had to!! have a lovely day. steven

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say it's the fresh corn, apples and peaches that I love best of local fare. In summer, it's the cherries.

    I heard a report last night that if everyone in Michigan spent $10 on local products a week, it would dump around 30 million dollars into the state's economy. Imagine that. I'm going to the farmer's market on the weekends to do my little bit of economic sparking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post you've created with these gorgeous fruits and veg. The color saturation was overwhelming. In a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments about the photographs. To me vegetables are equal to flowers in their beauty. Plus--you can eat them!

    Carol, I think I may start painting vegetables.

    Steven, yes we have to keep these bright fresh memories for the long, cold winter ahead.

    Rudee, the idea of buying local food can, I think, have great economic effect. And it's so much fun.

    Stephanie, I admit that I've pumped up the saturation on most of these photos--but just a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delwyn, thanks for your note. You're right it is a beet, not chard. Shows you how much of a gardener I am! But I do love to see, photograph, and eat these lovely vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just ate a "personal watermelon" - I'd never had one before- we bought it at a stand by the road...this little watermelon smaller than a canteloup! It was delicious....

    Apples are grown here, so beginning about now they sell and are crisp and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i need to move to somewhere that bananas and pineapples are local. mac apples are my real local faves

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the harvest of August and September - well actually I love what others harvest. :) I do have a couple of top down tomato plants that are making me smile a lot!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.