Thursday, April 28, 2011

X - xi

 Xi is the fourteenth letter of the Greek alphabet and it's also the number 60 in the Greek numeration system.  But that's all irrelevant to me.  What's important is that xi is the only two-letter word beginning with x that is in the Scrabble dictionary.

If you're a  Scrabble player, you'll know how valuable the two-letter words can be.  They allow you to make words in two directions and thus score twice for the letter common to both words.  With xi placed properly on the board (i.e. x on a triple letter score space) this little word can score a mighty 51 points.

Recently I've been playing Scrabble online through Facebook.  It's actually the only thing I use my page for--but because of this, Scrabble is becoming an integral part of my day.  I'm playing with four different people including my son and I'm somewhat concerned about the addictive qualities of this activity.  That said, if anyone who's reading this would like to play, I'm more than willing.  Just be prepared to accept the word xi!

4 comments:

  1. Good choice for X. I haven't played Scrabble for a couple of years now. We used to play regularly - for real, not online. I've steered clear of the Facebook thing because I feared it would be addictive. Not that blogging isn't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you could play Scrabble on Facebook. I might have to check that out now that we're almost to the end of A-Z. Sounds like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of the X letter.
    You are so clever to play four different scrabble games at once. Way to smart for me.
    I played all the time when my children where younger great way to have fun with words.

    A few blog friends talk about how they play scrabble on Facebook ... which I have a hard time wrapping my mind around.

    I though Facebook was for pictures of people doing thing that they want to show the world, like the stupid bank robbers who posted about all the money they just got right after they robbed a bank, but get upset when people see the incrementing photos ?

    Since I want to use my computer less I will just stick to blogging... I'm so low tech !

    I am impressed by your use of the computer.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. and joanna - it marks the spot! steven

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.