Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I - Ivy

The other day walking through the woods I saw they were covered in ivy.  This is the English Ivy that has escaped into the forests around us here in Victoria.  It's covering all the ground and climbing up into the trees.   Some people plant it as a ground cover but after a few years they're sorry they did.   It's a terribly invasive plant.



First it sleeps, then it creeps, then it LEAPS.  That's the little verse I heard about this invasive species.  Thinking of the ivy leaping into the trees is kind of creepy.  Whenever I find it in my yard I rip it out mercilessly--along with the other bane, Scotch Broom.  

7 comments:

  1. I like the way Ivy looks. It is very pretty but... I so agree with you about how invasive. I really don't know where it belongs ? it takes over because you have to keep chopping it back.
    When I lived in Laguna Beach whenever we saw a yard with the really big leaf Ivy we all knew they had rats !
    This is a great project and it looks like your having a wonderful time with it.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Parsnip. I don't like to think about the rodent connection but I know it exists!

      Delete
  2. The ivy over the back porch was one of the reasons I wanted to buy our first house. So pretty. When we finally decided to take it down because we were concerned about damage to the house, we discovered that it was probably holding the house together at that point!

    We see it a lot in our cottonwood and alder stands as well as the deeper forests - the birds do love to distribute the berries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty. I love the pictures
    Happy A-Zing!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful but invasive! Similar to the Foxglove which is beautiful but poison. Nature is so beguiling. Pretty photos you found. Today, my entry number seems to be #622. Hop on by of you like! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rip out all the ivy around my house too . . . and my in-laws don't understand. I like dandelions and dislike ivy . . .and it makes me break out in a rash when I pull it up without gloves. Your pics are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joanna, yes ivy is very invasive. Some like it to cover their houses though.

    This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.