Wednesday, April 11, 2012

K - Kinnikinnick revisited

During last year's A to Z  challenge I wrote about the Kinnikinnick  in my garden.  It's a native ground cover that we planted at the front of our garden when we re-did it coming up to three years ago.  This native plant seems to be quite popular because of its glossy leaves and flowers and berries.  Last year I was whining that the plants had hardly grown since I put them in.  But this year they've made a big jump forward.  You can see last year's post and photo here if you're so inclined.













This spring the plants are bushing up and starting to cover the ground in a forest-floor kind of way.








And just this morning I spotted an actual flower.  There's hope for the kinnikinnick after all.    Now if I could only find an easy way to get the arbutus leaves out of it!

(Apologies for the out-of-focus photos--it was starting to rain!)



If you want to learn more about this plant here's a link.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joanna - You've made progress with your ground cover, from last year. I wish you continued success with it.

    Great "K" post.

    Jenny @ Pearson Report
    Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this post from last year.
    Now this is going to be my weird thinking, sometimes native plants need time. When we plant them where we want them I think they they need the time to adjust. I don't know about you but when I move a native plant or one that pops up free, from wind or bird, it never seems to do as well as before I moved it.
    So your plants needed time to figure out if they really liked it where you planted it.
    So glad to see they plants are finally taking growing.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet they'll grow to like the arbutus leaves....then you won't have to shift those!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.