Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Q - Quinoa

I've only recently started cooking this nutritious grain and it turns out that we really like it.  It's easy to prepare and it's good for you.   Apparently it's one of the best sources of protein in the vegetable kingdom.  Plus it's gluten free, has a low glycemic index and provides all eight essential amino acids.  
Not to mention that it's grown at an altitude of 12,000 feet and supports the livelihood of farmers in the Andes. 








So far we've had it as a side dish and in salads.  I cook it in my trusty rice cooker just as I do white rice.  I like it's nutty flavour.  Have you tried it yet?

(I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here for a Q post.  I would have done quail in the garden but I did that one last fall here.)


8 comments:

  1. Our family eats a lot of quinoa - luckily my son loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was waiting to see who would choose Quinoa - its so versatile I love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quinoa. I just wish I could get the rest of the family to love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made quinoa patties and they were really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rather like that you chose Quinoa and not something easy like the Quail, although I love all the Quail families that are overrunning my home right now.
    I never tried to cook Quinoa in my rice cooker, what a great idea.
    When my 18 year old rice cooker finally died I ordered a new one (no great Japanese markets in Tucson I could go to and pick out a new one) I accidentally ordered a much bigger one and I doubt I could make the small amount I would use.
    I am so enjoying your ABC posts !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love quinoa. Really love it. I don't have a rice cooker but it works very nicely in an ordinary pot on the stove. I like the way it looks...so intricate once it's cooked.

    My daughter grew it in her garden last year. Very labor intensive to harvest and prep for use but it looks very pretty. We're going to try some this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey thanks for the reminder - I had forgotten about using quinoa. I should get back to it. Liked your p post - beautiful photos.

    Happy A-Zing
    Margot

    http://devotionals-margot.blogspot.com/
    http://mosaic-margot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.