Friday, April 27, 2012

Y - Yogurt


When I was a kid yogurt was a health food faddist joke, but now it's totally gone mainstream.  The grocery aisles are full of dozens of varieties.   Now that we're on a bit of an eating program, this nice thick non-fat yogurt is part of our regular breakfast now.  Greek yogurt is thicker and tastier than the sugary kinds we used to get.  It feels healthy and it has about 15 grams of protein, which is a boon to dieters like us.

This kind is a real treat--date and fig. We often mix it with cottage cheese, a bit of granola and chopped nuts and whatever fruit we have around.  Mango and orange are nice with it.


4 comments:

  1. What a great photo.
    Date and Fig sound so lovely. Love the idea of mixing it with cottage cheese, I will be trying that soon.
    I dislike the sugar yogurt also. I use to get the plain yogurt and add my own low sugar jam to it. L

    Your winding down with the letters not many to go.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yogurt is wonderful stuff, isn't it? I love the Greek-style yogurts. We used to make a batch of yogurt every week when the kids were little. It was not sweetened or flavored and I especially liked it - still do - with a lot of cinnamon and a chopped apple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Greek yogurt - but haven't considered adding those other ingredients before. Now I'll have to experiment, they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up eating yogurt and my parents used to make their own. I've been on a Greek yogurt (blood orange) kick, but I'm going to keep an eye out for date and fig. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.