Wednesday, April 11, 2012

J - Jam and jelly


For years I've made jam from blackberries picked in secret spots we've scouted out around the area.  And more recently I've made jelly from the grapes that are growing over the arbour in our back yard.  Nothing speaks of autumn to me more than the smell of cooking blackberry jam.  And nothing is better on a winter morning than a lovely piece of toast on with a spoonful of jam or jelly from late summer.

It's a bit time consuming to make the jelly but the jam is just so easy.  I make several batches and give jars away to family and friends at Christmas.  Then I have to ration the rest out so it will last until late summer when I can make some more.   Now that we're restricting sugar and carbs as part of a healthy eating plan the jars may actually last until then.  

You can learn about jelly making at this blog post from last year.

7 comments:

  1. Yum! It doesn't get much better than that. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we miss so many of our comforts when we don't have those sugars and carbs anymore.

    I laughed at the rationing part. I'm never too keen to open the first of the canned, preserved or frozen produce for that very reason. I'm not sure when the right time is to start using them. The first frost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful photo.
    I remember this post from last fall. How very exciting that you have a "secret" spot to pick the blackberries. Makes the jam taste so much better I think.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to make my own jam and jelly. Maybe someday...

    Enjoyed your post!

    Dana, stopping by via the A to Z Challenge
    www.dana-thedailydose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joanna, Jelly making is actually one of those things that I have never done, but always wanted to do. I bet it would be nice to slather a hot buttered piece of toast with some blackberry jam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That sounds lovely! Heck, I didn't even know the difference between jelly and jam and now I'm checking the link to make some. How awesome is that? Thanks!

    From Diary of a Writer in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade jelly and jam! I want some right now with a cup of hot tea and toast.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.