Thursday, April 12, 2012

L - Lemon pie (of the heavenly type)


My grandma's recipe called this desert Heavenly Lemon Pie. My big fat cookbook calls it Angel Pie. It's about 100 times better than the best lemon pie you've ever had because there's no pie crust, only meringue and the lemon filling is mixed with whipped cream.  Angelic, heavenly?  Indeed.



Even though I don't really like pie that much, this lemon concoction was my absolute favourite as a kid.  I still make it at Easter time.  It takes a few steps but really it's pretty easy.  You make the meringue and then shape it in the pie plate and cook for an hour at low heat.









Then you create the lemon custard in your double boiler and when it's cool, combine it with whipped cream and pile it on the meringue crust and then cool in the fridge overnight.

I guess it's kind of like a Pavlova really but with the addition of lemony goodness.  I decorated this pie with strawberries and a sprig of mint but I forgot to take the final photo.


Here's the recipe in case you should want to make it yourself.  I guarantee there will be no leftovers.

Grandma Jones's Heavenly Lemon Pie

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
4 eggs
2 cups whipping cream
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon grated lemon rind
1/8 tsp salt

Step one:  Meringue Crust

Set oven to 275 deegrees F.  Sift 1 cup of sugar with the cream of tartar.  Separate eggs and beat whites until they peak.  Then add sugar mixture and beat again.  Spread meringue over bottom and sides of a greased 9" pie pan.  Bake one hour then cool.

Step 2:  Lemon Custard

Slightly beat the 4 egg yolks in a double boiler, then stir in 1/2 cup of sugar, the lemon juice, rind and salt.  Cook 8 to 10 minutes until thick.  Stir and then let it cool.

Step 3:  Heavenly lemon

Whip the cream and fold the cooled custard into it.  Fill the meringue shell with lemon good and stand in refrigerator 24 hours.  Garnish with fruit or eat as is.  It is heavenly delicious.


8 comments:

  1. That pie is to die for. My Mom made meringues when I was a kid and I loved them, and she made lemon meringue pie but this! Oh my I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That looks and sounds delicious and I don't even like lemon flavored anything. Great post. Best regards to you. Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Joanna, I have been without a computer for over a week and this morning it's such fun to visit everyone and to come and see you and this WONDERFUL lemon pie. It sounds just divine!
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I love lemon pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meringue crust! WOW! I'll bet that is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not usually a lemon fan, but that sounds really good!

    Cheers,
    David
    via A-Z

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.